Martin Barraud/Getty Images

Conversion: When one wrongfully converts another's property to their own

May 28, 2019 - 4:00 am

By Amy E. Feldman, Judge Technology Solutions

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — An Indiana man claims his parents converted his property and it's got nothing to do with religion. Or maybe it does. 

After an Indiana man's divorce, he moved in with parents. But when he moved out a year later, he realized they'd dumped the 12 boxes containing his porn collection, so he filed a lawsuit for what he says is the $29,000 value of the collection.

If your roommate absconds with your things or trashes them, or sells them for that matter, can you sue? You can.  

The legal term for it is conversion, which is when one person wrongfully converts another person's property to his own use by keeping or selling it. It's a fancy pants way of saying you stole it.  

You have to show that you owned it, that the other person intentionally took it, and that you lost the value of it. 

The Indiana man has an email from his dad saying he'd done him a favor by getting rid of it. So that's pretty good evidence that both that his parents converted his property and that they're lucky he's now their ex-roommate.