4-alarm Old City condo fire ruled arson, ATF officials say

Kim Glovas
February 15, 2019 - 5:35 pm

Tim Jimenez/KYW Newsradio

Categories: 

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — The four-alarm fire that ripped through an Old City condo last year has been officially ruled arson.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a statement saying the conclusion was reached after an extensive investigation. 

That included statements from witnesses, as well as the collection of evidence and other information at the site.

KYW Newsradio was on the scene of the massive 2018 blaze. 

ATF Spokeswoman Charlene Hennessey says the investigation will continue with the Philadelphia Fire Marshal's Office, police and fire departments.

Hennessey says the fire broke out on Feb. 18, 2018 at 239 Chestnut St. around 3 a.m.

The residential and retail building forced the evacuation of about 160 people. Close to a dozen pets died in the fire, and buildings on both sides were also affected.

Chestnut Street was closed for months while investigators took apart the scene. 

___