76-year-old man charged with killing wife, last seen in 1981

Jim Melwert
April 18, 2019 - 8:50 am
From left: William Korzon and Gloria Korzon

Jim Melwert/KYW Newsradio; Bucks County District Attorney's Office


UPDATED 4:22 p.m.

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — William Korzon, 76, is charged with killing his wife, Gloria Korzon, who was last seen leaving her job in Horsham back in 1981.

He gave short answers as the charges were read to him at his preliminary arraignment in Jamison, Bucks County.

But as he left, Korzon said he did not kill his wife. He says she went to Florida.

“We also charged him with profiting from her murder for maintaining the illusion of her life for covering it up, and for soliciting another to murder a cop who was investigating this," said Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub. 

Weintraub credits Warrington police and a Grand Jury investigation for getting them enough to file charges.

The criminal complaint doesn’t shed much light on what sparked the arrest 38 years later.

It lays out a timeline of their relationship. They were married in 1967. And, according to the complaint, he began abusing her that same year. He was arrested in Massachusetts for threatening to kill her. Then the complaint says he underwent surgery on his thyroid, which was supposed to reduce his aggressive tendencies.

The couple moved to Philadelphia in 1968, then Warrington in 1971.

The complaint also says, between 1968 and 1981, numerous agencies in Pennsylvania had contact with the couple involving threats and violent assaults against Gloria, including a broken arm and broken collar bone.

Police had been called to their Warrington home for eight domestic violence incidents between 1976 and 1980, according to the complaint. And while she had started the process of protection orders, she withdrew the complaints before they got to court.

It also says she documented these and, about a month before she vanished, sent them to her father in a sealed envelope he was to open only if something happened to her. Inside were three pages detailing the abuse she says she suffered at the hands of her husband.

March 6, 1981, was the last time she was seen leaving her job. Not long after, the complaint says, William Korzon went her job to tell them they should end her employment since she was in poor health. He gathered her belongings, and had her last paycheck sent the home.

After that, her family says when they would call her home in Warrington, her husband, William, would tell them she wasn’t home or couldn’t come to the phone.

He told police his wife had gone to visit an aunt in Florida, but she had left behind her car, driver’s license and credit card.

In May 1981, Gloria’s mother got a Mother’s Day card, but the family always thought it was odd the card was signed "Gloria Korzon," rather than just "Love, Gloria," as she would typically write.

About five years after she disappeared, investigators dug up the yard around their home but found nothing other than the remains of her pet dog.

Over the years, Korzon claimed he saw her occassionally but could never prove he'd met with her.

She was declared dead in 1997, and her brother inherited her estate.

Korzon is also accused of forging her signature to get a bigger share of her estate.

When investigators asked him earlier this year about her death, court documents say Korzon asked them, "Did you find her body?"