Attorney for homeless man in GoFundMe dispute says remaining money is gone

Judge ordered remaining funds to be frozen last week

Paul Kurtz
September 04, 2018 - 4:04 pm
Last October, Johnny Bobbitt used his last $20 to buy gas for Kate McClure, who was stranded on I-95. McClure, in return, created a GoFundMe campaign with her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, to raise money for Bobbitt to thank him.

Courtesy GoFundMe via CNN

Categories: 

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — An attorney representing a homeless man who became the center of a viral fundraising campaign says all of the money a South Jersey couple collected for him is now gone.

Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico are expected to appear at a hearing on Wednesday to explain what happened to the $400,000 raised for Johnny Bobbitt. 

Last week, New Jersey Superior Court Judge Pamela Dow gave the couple 24 hours to turn over whatever money was left and provide a full account of what happened to it.    

Earlier in the day, Bobbitt's legal team filed a contempt petition against the couple for ignoring a court-ordered deadline to return whatever was left of the funds. Bobbit's attorney, Chris Fallon, said he was told in a Tuesday morning conference call that there was no money left.   

RELATED: Judge orders remaining funds raised by couple for homeless man to be frozen

Bobbitt claims he only received $75,000 and that the couple spent tens of thousands of dollars on such things as exotic vacations and a new car for themselves. 

McClure and D'Amico, however, say they gave him $200,000. 

The two launched a GoFundMe campaign after Bobbitt gave McClure all the money he had — $20 dollars — when she ran out of gas off I-95 in Port Richmond last year.