Bucks County woman accused of love triangle murder testifies

Jim Melwert
January 31, 2019 - 1:50 pm
A Bucks County woman is on trial for a love triangle murder involving the leader of a motorcycle gang and a pharmaceutical company executive.

Bucks County District Attorney's Office


DOYLESTOWN, Pa. (KYW Newsradio) — The Bucks County woman accused of murder in a love triangle that involved a motorcycle gang leader and a pharmaceutical executive took the stand in her own defense on Thursday, tearfully describing the shooting death of Michael McNew, which she claims was accidental. 

Jennifer Morrisey said while working as an exotic dancer, she met McNew. He wanted to take her to dinner, but she said she needed to work to pay an overdue electric bill. She said McNew not only paid the past-due balance, but the entire $1,200 bill, and they went on their date.

She eventually moved in with McNew.

Morrisey broke down in tears on the stand for several minutes when she was asked if McNew provided for her and if he took care of her. She said they did everything together. They went to the beach, to movies, to dinner. She said he bought her expensive gifts, including an SUV, a Harley Davidson, and a vacation in San Juan.

But McNew was jealous of every other man in her life, including Charles Kulow, also known as "Ruthless," the leader of the Breed Motorcycle Club.

RELATED: Jury hears from motorcycle gang head in love triangle murder trial

On the night McNew was killed, she said she was arguing with him via text. He threatened to alert the FBI to Kulow, adding that he would shoot Morrisey if she showed up at his house. She threatened to gut him like she was field dressing a deer. But, she testified, while they were both saying horrible things, she never thought he would hurt her.

When she got to his home, she said he pulled a gun on her and, slurring his words, with alcohol on his breath, asked her where her boyfriend was — a reference to Kulow.

She said she smacked the gun out of his hand and pushed him back into the chair, and as she tried to get the clip out of the gun, it went off.

She testified she just heard a loud noise and didn’t know what it was until she saw the blood oozing from the top of McNew’s face.

On cross examination, prosecutors pressed her on why she never called 911 and focused on her attempts to cover it up, including meeting with Kulow and an associate, then going back to try to stage a robbery, and sending text messages to McNew's phone after she knew he was dead but before the body was found.

In closing arguments, prosecutor Christopher Rees told the jury McNew put his trust in Morrisey, and in return, she put a bullet in his head.

Defense attorney Philip Steinberg countered the shooting was an accident. But because of her past record, she didn’t think anyone would believe her and, he said, she got bad advice from her boyfriend, Kulow.

Steinberg said Morrisey "did everything in her power to make a legally justified killing appear to be a crime."

Her fate is now up to a jury.