Do's and don'ts of heating your home

Justin Udo
January 31, 2019 - 3:53 pm
Fire truck.

Holli Stephens / KYW Newsradio

Categories: 

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — Believe it or not, the subzero temperatures plaguing our region are also giving opportunity to potential fire hazards that experts want you to be aware of. 

Check your heating source, and treat it right. 

That's something Philadelphia Fire Department battalion Chief Thomas Kane says can go a long way when it comes to fire prevention.

"Make sure your heater has been inspected every year and checked and serviced. Don't store anything within three feet of your furnace," he said. 

Kane says do not use your stove to heat your house because the gas can cause a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide, and that also rings true with an unkempt fireplace. 

"Don't bring your charcoal grill or anything burning, wood-burning or charcoal-burning tool, or grill from the outside inside, because you're also creating that carbon monoxide," he advised.

Kane adds you also want to take multiple precautions with your space heater, such as keeping space heaters at least three feet away from everything in your home, and not using an extension cord with one.

"And only use space heaters from a recognized testing laboratory," he said. 

For homes with a chimney, make sure they are properly checked.

"If your chimney is failing, that can be a source of carbon monoxide into your home as well," Kane said. 

Kane says no matter what time of year it is, make sure you have working fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.