Explosion forced residents to evacuate from Cedar Park apartment complex

Mark Abrams
December 02, 2018 - 8:48 am



PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — Philadelphia Police say a tenant was hurt when a quarter stick of dynamite exploded inside a ground-floor apartment at the Sheldrake Apartments near 49th and Spruce streets Saturday night.

Police say a 56-year-old man was taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center where he's listed in stable condition. He's being treated for facial cuts, broken ribs and other injuries.

The man told investigators he bought the quarter stick from a fireworks store and lit it up during an argument with two acquaintances inside the apartment. He told police the quarter stick exploded quicker than he had expected.

The explosion also damaged the apartment unit's windows.


This story was updated at 12.47 p.m. Dec. 2, 2018. 

Antionette Lee contributed to this report.