GoFundMe to give homeless veteran $400,000 owed to him from campaign

Bobbitt has now received $20,000 as part of the guarantee, which will be used to get him an apartment and food, Fallon says.

David Madden
September 06, 2018 - 8:08 am
Last October, Johnny Bobbitt used his last $20 to buy gas for Kate McClure, who was stranded on I-95. McClure, in return, created a GoFundMe campaign with her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, to raise money for Bobbitt to thank him.

Courtesy GoFundMe via CNN

Categories: 

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. (KYW Newsradio/CNN) --  Johnny Bobbitt Jr., a homeless Philadelphia ex-Marine, will get the money owed to him from a GoFundMe campaign that raised more than $400,000 for him, his attorney Chris Fallon tells CNN.

"We reached an agreement today with GoFundMe and they have agreed to make sure he will be made whole," Fallon says.

In a statement, the company said it would back the money raised:

"...Our platform is backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, which means that in the rare case that GoFundMe, law enforcement or a user finds campaigns are misused, donors and beneficiaries are protected."

Bobbitt has now received $20,000 as part of the guarantee, which will be used to get him an apartment and food, Fallon says.

RELATED: Attorney for homeless man in GoFundMe dispute says remaining money is gone

The rest of the money will be handed over after GoFundMe conducts an investigation relying on items seized by the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office and what his attorneys turn over to them, Fallon says.

The Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina, now looking into the case, issued a statement after his agents paired up with Florence Township police to search the home of Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico early Thursday morning. Coffina noted the "enormous public interest" in the matter involving Johnny Bobbitt, who's gone to Chancery Court in an effort to get whatever money is left. Suggestions are it's gone.

Coffina said the warrants served are "in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter." At this time, no charges have been filed.

McClure and D'Amico, started the campaign after McClure ran out of gas and became stranded last October, and Bobbitt helped her out with his last $20.

The page was titled "Paying it Forward," and the response was incredible: 14,347 people donated $402,706 over the course of 10 months.

Since then, the money has been in dispute, and Bobbitt is suing the couple, accusing them of fraud. Bobbitt's attorney says his client has only seen about $75,000 of that money and should have gotten about $300,000 more after GoFundMe's fees.            

RELATED: With GoFundMe monies exhausted, judge wants answers while couple exercises Fifth Amendment

Judge Paula Dow is handling the civil case and has ordered all three parties to undergo personal depositions in advance of the next scheduled hearing on September 14.

 The couple has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, but a court order deadline for them to hand over the cash has passed.

In court on Thursday, the couple agreed to let a forensic accountant open up their books to see where those fundraising dollars were deposited.

An attorney for McClure and D'Amico has declined comment. The couple has invoked their Fifth Amendment rights in the civil proceeding.

__

The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2018 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.