Homeless man charged in GoFundMe scam is ordered new probation for unrelated charges

Mike DeNardo
December 03, 2018 - 1:54 pm
Johnny Bobbitt, Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico

Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office

Categories: 

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — The homeless vet charged in the viral GoFundMe case is heading to Burlington County to face fraud charges, after a Philadelphia judge's decision Monday.

Common Pleas Judge Wendy Pew ordered a new one-year probation for Johnny Bobbitt on his Philly drug cases, which cleared the way for him to be transferred to the custody of New Jersey authorities. 

Bobbitt faces charges that he conspired with Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure to defraud GoFundMe donors, who gave more than $400,000 to what authorities say was a fake feel-good story.  

RELATED: It was a scam: Couple, homeless vet arrested in GoFundMe investigation

Bobbitt had been in Philadelphia custody since his mid-November arrest for violating probation on three drug convictions from 2017. Defense attorney Brian Fishman said he and Assistant District Attorney Alyssa Ecker agreed on the new terms.

"The prosecutor and I — and she was very gracious to agree — that it was in everyone's best interests to lift the detainers," said Fishman, "because otherwise the detainers would hold him here and New Jersey would have to come and get him. So it would just procedurally be a bit of a nightmare."

RELATED: Man suspected of taking money from GoFundMe account arrested on unrelated charges

The judge ordered Bobbitt to get drug treatment and job counseling as conditions of the new Philadelphia probation. Last week, Bobbitt waived his rights to an extradition hearing, and Fishman expects he will be transferred to Burlington County in a few days.