Man pleads guilty to home invasion, holding girl at gunpoint

Jim Melwert
January 24, 2019 - 6:32 pm
Raymond Daniels is sentenced to 40-80 years in prison after he admitted to being part of a group who broke into the home on Wellington Road in Newtown around 2am on August 21st, 2017.

Courtesy of Newtown Township Police Department


DOYLESTOWN, Pa. (KYW Newsradio) — A Philadelphia man will spend up to 80 years behind bars after he pleaded guilty to breaking into a Bucks County home — walking a 12-year-old into her parents’ room at gunpoint  in the middle of the night.

Sentencing 25-year-old Raymond Daniels to 40 to 80 years in state prison, judge Diane Gibbons told him, “If you can’t react to a 12-year-old shaking and crying in front of her parents, there is nothing in this community  law or otherwise  that is going to stop you.”

According to the facts of the plea read by prosecutors, Daniels and two other men broke into the Newtown home on Wellington Road around 2 a.m. on Aug. 21, 2017.

They tied up a 25-year-old who had recently moved back home after graduating college, then woke up the 12-year-old and marched her into her parents’ room.

She tearfully pleaded for her parents to wake up, and when they did, Daniels and his co-defendants, prosecutors say, threatened the child’s life, forcing her parents to open a safe.

They got $50,000 in cash and more than $200,000 in jewelry and other goods.

They put the family in a closet and told them if the police were called, they’d go after the couple’s other daughter and they knew what college she was attending, where she lived, even what kind of car she drove.

Prosecutors say the youngest daughter, now 14, can only sleep on an inflatable mattress pressed against her mother’s side of the bed, while the 25-year-old lives out of state and can’t visit her parents because the memories are too painful.
Because the family didn't have insurance, they didn’t get any payments for everything they lost.

Prosecutors say cell phone data shows that the men, all from Philadelphia, drove out multiple times together to scope out the house and plan the home invasion.

The father says he owns a clothing store and had helped out one of the defendants with free clothing when that man was going through a tough time.

Two co-defendants are still scheduled for trial.