Philly man will stand trial for murder in connection with Bucks campground double shooting

Jim Melwert
February 04, 2020 - 7:12 pm
40-year-old Miles Jones is facing criminal homicide and other charges after fatally shooting two men who tried to stop an argument between him and his girlfriend while camping, according to police.

Bucks Country District Attorney's Office


QUAKERTOWN, Pa. (KYW Newsradio) — A 41-year-old Philadelphia man will stand trial for murder in connection with a deadly double shooting at a Bucks County campground last fall.

At Miles Jones’ preliminary hearing, prosecutors played a pair of chilling 911 calls that came from the Homestead Campground near Quakertown after 41-year-old Eric Braxton and 46-year-old Arthur Hill were shot.

One was from one of the victim’s sons, who tells the operator he can’t see his dad because he’s hiding, then learns while on the call his father is no longer breathing. 

The other was from a woman who was clearly terrified, saying she knows there’s a man in the woods who’s extremely intoxicated with a gun but she doesn’t know where.

“The one call, the witness said it was a nightmare," said prosecutor Ed Louka.

Related: Philly man arrested for killing 2 men while camping in Bucks County, police say

“It’s literally people cowering in the woods in fear of a guy – the only person who had a gun there," he added. 

Witnesses say it started when Jones got in a fight with his girlfriend around 2 a.m. When others stepped in, it got physical and someone punched Jones in the face.

He sat in a car for about 15 minutes. When he got out, witnesses say he shot Braxton point blank as Braxton told him to calm down, then they say he shot Hill in the back. 

Jones’s lawyers tried to argue self-defense, saying Jones' jaw was broken after he was punched in the face. They say he was cooperative with police when they arrived, and immediately told them he was the victim.

Prosecutors say that isn’t relevant at this point in the case. They also say Jones was the only one with a gun and opened fire in a crowded campground at two men who witnesses say were trying to calm him down.