No special investigator to be named for fraudulent NFL concussion claims

A federal judge will rely on an existing audit process.

Mike DeNardo
July 19, 2018 - 12:49 pm
Sep 17, 2017; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers cornerback Daryl Worley (26) is introduced before the game at Bank of America Stadium.

Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

Categories: 

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — A federal judge says she sees evidence that former NFL players may be filing fraudulent concussion claims. But for now, she's not going to name a special investigator to look into them. 

NFL attorneys have claimed doctors were exaggerating the ailments of former players to gain larger payouts from the league's concussion settlement. Now Philadelphia federal judge Anita Brody has ruled that she found "sufficient evidence of probable fraud." 

But Brody in her ruling Wednesday said she wasn't going to appoint a special investigator to try to root out false claims, saying an existing audit process seems to be "working effectively." In a court filing, lawyers for the former players estimated the total payout from the league's landmark concussion settlement could  be as much as $1.4 billion. That's $400 million more than previously estimated.