Officials: Deptford police-involved shooting leaves 1 dead, suspect at large

Tim Jimenez
June 10, 2018 - 8:54 am
Police Tape Generic



DEPTFORD TOWNSHIP, N.J. (KYW Newsradio) — Authorities in New Jersey have released new details surrounding a police-involved shooting at a Deptford strip mall Saturday.

Officials say, just before 4 p.m., officers with the Deptford Township Police Department were dispatched to a Marshall’s department store, off of 1800 Clements Bridge Road, for a shoplifting in progress.  

According to police, as the officers arrived on the scene they encountered three suspects, who had fled the Marshalls with a “substantial amount of unpaid merchandise.”

Police say one of the subjects, a black male identified as Raoul Gadson of Philadelphia, PA, was actively resisting with loss prevention agents from the store.

As the officers approached, Gadson fled on foot while the other two suspects, both females, entered a rented Nissan Armada, according to police. 

Investigators say the officers were outside their vehicles when they commanded the driver, later identified as LaShanda Anderson, age 36, of Philadelphia, PA.

Police say while ordering Anderson to stop, she accelerated towards them and an officer was struck by the open driver-side door as and drove towards another officer. 

Anderson reportedly attempted to deliberately run over the second officer in an apparent assault by auto, according to police.

Officials say the second officer fired three shots at Anderson as she drove towards them and struck her twice. 

The vehicle veered, narrowly missing the officer, continued across the parking lot, and down onto the access road exiting the parking lot where it subsequently came to rest, investigators say.

Customers like Tina Armstrong, who was shopping in Marshalls, were startled. 

"I heard a bang but I did not know at the time what it was," she recalled.

Anderson was pronounced dead at the scene, police say.  The Gloucester County Medical Examiner ruled the cause of death as “multiple gunshot wounds” after an autopsy Sunday.

The second female suspect, Chanel Barnes, 27, of Philadelphia, PA, was taken into custody and charged with shoplifting.

Authorities say Barnes currently remains in Salem County Correctional Facility, pending a detention hearing.

One of the officers was taken to an area hospital, where he was treated and released, officials say.

According to police, the officer will also be placed on administrative leave pending the investigation of the shooting. 

Investigators say Gadson remains at large but is facing multiple charges, including second-degree robbery and assault charges.

Anyone with information on Gadson's whereabouts is asked to call police.

According to officials, the circumstances surrounding the robbery and shooting are currently under investigation by the Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office, per directives by the Attorney General’s Office.

Gloucester County Prosecutor Charles Fiore says he vows that his office will conduct a "comprehensive and objective investigation" into the shooting.


KYW's Kevin Wright contributed to this story.