Parent says son suffered electrical burn at school; officials now more vigilant about faulty outlets

Mike DeNardo
January 14, 2019 - 4:00 am
Philadelphia school maintenance workers are watching out for faulty equipment after a parent says his young son suffered an electrical burn at school.

Mike DeNardo/KYW Newsradio

Categories: 

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — Philadelphia school maintenance workers are watching out for faulty equipment after a parent says his young son suffered an electrical burn at school.  

School activist Antoine Little told the school board last month that his 7-year-old son received a dime-sized burn while standing near a water cooler in the basement of T.M. Peirce Elementary School at 23rd and Cambria streets. 

"My son sustained a second-degree burn on his rear end by an electrical outlet," he added.  

READ: Philly School District working to reduce backlog of pay owed to retirees

Little held a sign with pictures showing a hole in the boy's pants and underwear.  

"There's no way in the world a 7-year-old child should have to endure being electrocuted by a faulty outlet," he said.

Danielle Floyd, the district's chief operating officer, told the school board's Finance and Facilities Committee last week that an inspection showed no burn marks or exposed wires on the cooler. But she says the cooler was switched out for a newer hydration station, and workers will be checking other schools. 

"All of our facility area coordinators are being equipped with GFI receptacle testers, so that we can go to additional schools to look to see whether or not this hazard may exist other places," Floyd said.