Philly police locate armed man who threatened water department, police officers

Hadas Kuznits
October 19, 2019 - 3:56 pm
31-year-old Michael John Altomari was last seen driving a red Chevy Silverado with Pennsylvania tag ZKX-2019. Police said he is considered armed and dangerous.

Philadelphia Police Department


UPDATE: Police said Altomari was found dead inside his vehicle Saturday night in the Fox Chase section of the city, on the 8200 block of Verree Rd. near Rising Sun Ave. He was pronounced dead just before 7 p.m. by medics of what authorities said appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — The Philadelphia Police Department have asked for help locating 31-year-old Michael John Altomari of the Mayfair section of Northeast Philadelphia. Lt. Dennis Rosenbaum of Northeast Detectives said Altomari's girlfriend called police after an argument between the two of them ended with Altomari leaving their house with duffel bags full of guns and ammunition.

"He made some threats against his former employer," said Rosenbaum, "which would be the Philadelphia Water Department, and said if the cops try to interfere, they would have consequences also, and he would shoot it out with the police."

Altomari was let go from the water department in 2017.

"I guess because he hasn't been employed with them," speculated Rosenbaum, "he was upset about no longer being employeed with them, is the gist of it, and his living arrangements, between that and some other family members and some living arrangements that have gotten him upset."

Lt. Rosenbaum says they are taking every precaution to avoid a mass shooter situation. 

"We went to the location and there were some ammo cans that were empty," Rosenbaum said, "so those can hold several hundred rounds each."

Altomari is 6-foot-2 and 350 lbs. He was last seen driving a red Chevy Silverado with Pennsylvania tags ZKX-2019. He has a shaved head and Rosenbaum said he is armed and dangerous.

Police have cautioned anyone who sees him to call 911 and not approach him.

"We're concerned," said Rosenbaum. "We're hoping someone in the public has seen him driving or seen him park somewhere, and we're able to get him into custody."