Police identify SEPTA concourse fatal stabbing suspect

Steve Tawa
March 08, 2019 - 10:27 am
Philadelphia Police Homicide Unit Captain Jason Smith

Steve Tawa/KYW Newsradio


PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — SEPTA police supervisors have handed off Thursday morning's deadly stabbing in Center City to Philadelphia police homicide investigators. 

Charles Green, 50, has been charged with murder. Police say he stabbed a 30-year-old man on the subway concourse near the Walnut-Locust stop of the Broad Street Line around 6:30 a.m.

SEPTA police supervisors located Green on Thursday near the scene at the Hub of Hope, a walk-in engagement center run by Project HOME that places people in shelters and treatment centers. 

Green was taken to the hospital to get treatment for wounds he suffered during the violent confrontation. 

Philadelphia Police Homicide Unit Captain Jason Smith says SEPTA police supervisors caught up with Green at the center under, located under Two Penn Square, at 16th Street and JFK Boulevard, after viewing surveillance video from the subway concourse.

READ: Police: Suspect in custody after fatal stabbing at SEPTA station in Center City

"From what I understand, it's in close proximity to where the stabbing occured, so they were just doing their due diligence as police officers, and reviewing the video right away," he said. "I viewed the video personally. It would appear that the person we have in custody for the stabbing was the aggressor."

Police say the victim and Green got into a fight, which led to the stabbing. While bleeding, the victim made his way up the subway steps at Spruce Street, across from the Kimmel Center. He was taken to Hahnemann University Hospital, where he died about an hour later.

Officials say this wasn’t a random act, and that the two men knew each other.

Green faces charges of murder, use of an instrument of crime and robbery. Police have not released the name of the 30-year-old victim but he too is believed to have been homeless.

This incident happened on the first full day of a strike by SEPTA Transit Police Officers. But SEPTA supervisors, who are still on the job, and filling in, were patrolling the concourses, and responded to the incident.

KYW Newsradio's Paul Kurtz contributed to this report.