Police: Man killed in North Philly car theft, involving 3 kids, is identified

Dan Wing
July 12, 2019 - 8:12 am
Carjacking at New Star Pizza

Dan Wing/KYW Newsradio


PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — Investigators have released the identity of a man who was killed in North Philadelphia after he allegedly stole a car with three children in the back seat.

At a press conference Friday, Homicide Captain Jason Smith says they believe least three men took part in the death of 54-year-old Eric Hood.

This all began, police say, just after 9 p.m last Thursday after a 25-year-old woman left her car running in front of the New Star Pizza at 28th and Dauphin Streets to visit her 25-year-old boyfriend inside.

Smith says, while she was inside the pizzaria, 54-year-old Eric Hood climbed into the car that had three children inside just before he drove away. 

However, Hood hit a bit of a roadblock: He got stuck in traffic just a few blocks away. The woman's boyfriend was able to catch up to the car and pull the thief out. 

"There was an initial altercation between Mr. Hood and the father of the children and that was the time that he was removed from the vehicle at 29th and York Street. However, I don't want to speculate as to whether the father’s involvement continued after that point," Smith said.

Chief Inspector Scott Small said Hood then tried to run away and again the boyfriend was able to catch up, this time a half-block away, leading to a fight.

"Then other males from the neighborhood intervened and began punching and kicking the male who took the vehicle," Samll said, "to the point where he was rendered unconscious."

"The crowd kicked and punched Mr. Hood until the arrival of responding police,” Smith added. “At some point Mr. Hood became unresponsive."

Hood was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead from severe head trauma. The children — a 5-year-old, 1-and-a-half-year-old, and 7-month-old — were not injured. 

The parents have since been questioned by detectives and charges have not been filed, Smith says. Investigators are still waiting for the results from the Medical Examiner’s office as well as the toxicology report.

"After receiving these results we'll confer with the DA's office regarding possible charging," Smith added.

Smith also says they are reviewing video that was taken at the scene to identify everyone involved in this deadly confrontation.


KYW Newsradio's Paul Kurtz contributed to this report.