Violence in Philadelphia leaves 2 dead, 7 others hospitalized

Antionette Lee
December 22, 2018 - 1:53 pm



PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) -- Peace Weekend in Philadelphia got off to a violent start after police say two people are dead and seven others are hospitalized.

Philadelphia Police say they are investigating four shootings and two stabbings throughout the Delaware Valley from late Friday night into Saturday morning.

The violence began just after 10 p.m. with a shooting in the on 2100 block of Middleton Street that left a 29-year-old man in critical condition, after police say, he was shot twice in the stomach.

Shortly after 11 p.m., police say, a double shooting took place along the 3200 block of North 2nd Street. Investigators say the shooting left a 31-year-old man critical and a 33-year-old female in stable condition.

According to police, just after 11:30 p.m., officers responded to the 1600 block of Westmoreland Street, where a man was shot under his right arm. Officials say the man would later be pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital.

READ: Police: Fight, not shots fired, causes evacuation at Delaware's Christiana Mall

In the early hours of Sunday morning, around 2 a.m., police responded to second double shooting, this time on the 6100 block of Market Street. According to police, a 27-year-old man was shot and killed, and a 36-year-old man was shot and placed in critical condition.

The violence continued just before 2:30 a.m., as police were called to a double stabbing in the parking lot outside of the Sugarhouse Casino, authorities say. According to police, a 31-year-old man is now in critical condition, and a 26-year-old is in stable at Hahnemann University Hospital.

Investigators say a second stabbing occurred around 4 a.m., along the 5300 block of Woodland Avenue. The man was reportedly stabbed in the neck, back and right leg. He is listed in stable condition.

In all of the overnight incidents, police say, no arrests have been made at this time. Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to contact police.